The Rwandan government has changed the investment law to make it easier to attract and facilitate new investments, as stated in the new investment law (official gazette No special of May 27, 2015). The new law includes a new set of incentives aimed at boosting the growth of key priority sectors such as exports, energy, information and communication technology, transportation and logistics, health, financial services, and affordable housing. Meanwhile, investors can still apply for incentives via the Rwanda Development Board’s One Stop Center.
For new investors registering their projects with the One Stop Center, there is no minimum capital requirement. This directive applies to investors from Rwanda, the EAC, COMESA, and other foreign countries who register their projects. However, for new projects registering at the One Stop Center, the following investment project evaluation criteria will apply.
To make the process more fast and affordable, Rwanda Development has established an online registration system. The procedure entails submitting an online investment application as well as an EIA certificate.
Application for investment registration; Notification of acceptance or rejection; and Issuance of investment registration certificate
The following items are included in the investment registration application:
- Request for investment registration in the form of a letter written to the CEO of RDB;
- Submission of a business plan or feasibility study; certificate of legal personality of the business entity.
- The business sector in which the investment wishes to operate grants the investor a license.
- Proof of payment of the registration cost of $ 500 or its equivalent in Rwandan francs to the RDB account in the Bank of Kigali, account numbers 00040-00281441-77 for US dollars and 00040-00281460-96 for Rwandan francs.
- Any genuine acceptable travel document valid for at least 6 months
- Visa/Permit form
- Application letter
- Photo with white background
- Company investment certificate
- Business registration certificate
- Police clearance certificate for the previous six months
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Payment of 150.000 Frw